The CCHT InfoCentre
FlexHouse™ Design by architect Nicholas Varias
Wood-frame construction mock-up
At the CCHT InfoCentre, two of the three units of this townhouse were combined to provide offices, meeting space and display rooms. The third unit offers an eye-opening demonstration of a remarkable Canadian housing concept, designed to adapt to people's changing needs.
CMHC's FlexHousing™ is a practical approach to designing and building housing that allows residents to convert space to meet their changing needs. Based on the principles of adaptability, accessibility, affordability and Healthy Housing™, FlexHousing™ brings together the best of everything we know about building houses.
The CCHT InfoCentre features the award winning FlexHouse™ design by architect Nicholas Varias of London, Ontario. Nicholas Varias was one of four winners in CMHC's 1996 competition that sponsored a design contest to promote FlexHousing™.
Some of this home's adaptable features include:
- Entry Foyer, permits split occupancy, and access to home office.
- Convertible front room - easy to insert a dividing wall.
- Conversion of shower & bath into laundry.
- Roughed in attic for future use.
- Moveable wall on the second floor (wireless wall).
- Washer dryer rough-in on second floor in hallway.
- Second floor living room space maybe used as second kitchen.
- Central vacuum and second central vacuum run as wiring chase.
- Attic is usable space because of the open truss design compared to the trusses in the adjoining attic.
- Stacked closets for future vertical lift.
- Door and hallway width's provide maneuvering space.
- No trip no step threshold at entry.
For more information on FlexHousing™ please visit CMHC Flexhousing™ website.
The CCHT InfoCentre includes a Technology Showcase located in the main floor display room. This Showcase features CCHT-tested technology including the ECM motor, the GFX heat recovery system and the Whispergen Stirling Engine. It also includes a series of wood-frame construction mock-ups intended to convey the Canadian Construction System to national and international audiences.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: